Wednesday 21 November 2012

Warming Autumn Supper

This dinner is one of my favourites; its perfect for these dark, rainy, cold November evenings. The rich colours make this dish make you feel warm just looking at it and it tastes just splendid (plus uses up the glut of cherry tomatoes I received in my veg box this week)! Like a lot of my dishes it's pretty easy and even better its all in one tray - saves on washing up!
Credit to Jamie Oliver for the origins of the dish but I've always put my own spin on it, as I share with you now;

Sticky Autumn Sausages

6-8 sausages (I used Cumberland)
Around 1kg cherry tomatoes, halved
2 large carrots, halved then cut into chunks
1 large red onion, cut into sixths
2-3 cloves garlic (leave skins on just crush them a bit)
2 sprigs of thyme, 2 of rosemary
3 bay leaves
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
seasoning
sweet potato
butter

So very simply put the tomatoes, other veg, garlic and herbs in to a baking tray. Coat liberally in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Mix everything together (I use my hands for this its so much easier)


Prick each sausage a couple of times and then place them on the tomatoes.



Place in oven at 200oC for 30mins then take the tray out, give it a good shake and turn the sausages. Put back in the oven for another 30mins. In this time you can boil up some sweet potato, then mash it up with some butter and lots of black pepper (alternatively you could serve with normal mash, jacket potato, pasta or some crusty bread). Take the tray out of the oven, remove the sausages and then stir up all the tomatoes and veg so it is a nice thick, rich sauce. Serve this over the mashed sweet potato and feel yourself and your heart warm up....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment