Wednesday 20 May 2015

A healthy cake?........{Lemon & Chia Seed Cake}

My friends! Apologies for the absence, I have been sunning myself in Italy and eating lots of yummy Italian food. Seriously was the best holiday and I have the holiday blues now I am back! I promise to do a holiday recap soon but until them I have a little recipe to keep you going!






Lemons are such a summery fruit to me and I use them a lot in my cooking and especially in my baking. This cake always goes down a treat and by replacing the fat with yogurt and olive oil and the sugar with algave syrup I also like to consider it a little bit healthy?! When I make this as a pudding, I make the limoncello syrup to serve with it but you can omit this if you only want it as a teatime treat! 





Lemon & Chia Seed Cake 

(Serves 6 with plenty left over for seconds!)


4 large eggs 
175g full fat Greek yoghurt
110g plain flour
110g ground almonds 
50g Chia seeds (or you can use poppy seeds)
1 ½ TSP baking powder 
½ TSP salt
10 TBSP Algave syrup
50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lemon – zest of whole lemon, juice of half
1 TSP vanilla extract

5 TBSP caster sugar
Zest and Juice of ½ lemon 
50 – 75ml limoncello  

Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with grease proof paper. Mix together the flour, almonds, chia seeds, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl pour in the syrup and add in lemon zest. In another bowl whisk together yogurt, eggs and vanilla and then add the lemon juice – keep whisking until it’s all combined. Stir in the zest and syrup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix together. Fold in the Olive oil. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth down the top. Bake for 50mins until top is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.

Warm the sugar, zest and lemon juice over a low heat until syrup if formed. Remove from heat and whilst still warm stir in the limoncello. Use a skewer and make a few holes across the top of the cake and then pour over some of the syrup and reserve the rest for serving alongside the cake. It also goes well with a little glass of limoncello! 

No comments:

Post a Comment