Thursday 17 October 2013

The Carbonara Wars......

 A text message conversation happened between my good friend Paul and me yesterday afternoon:

Paul: You still coming over tonight?
Me: Sure, about 6ish, can’t wait to see you
Paul: Me too, I haven’t got anything sorted food wise tho! Minced beef is still there or we could do Carbonara?! Let’s decide over a glass of wine (how all good decisions are made)
Me: Ok mi amore! I make a mean Carbonara though. No cream anywhere near it URGH please note my correct spelling of the word though, I can’t abide text speak – I know I’m a snob!
Paul: Ha ha!! Me too! A traditional Sicilian recipe! A proper Carbonara never has cream never has a truer word been spoken
Me: Mines a traditional Roman recipe Leilo taught to me the first time I went to stay with them in Italy
Paul: My Sicilian friend taught me when I stayed there! *pokes tongue out* it’s probably the same recipe! Lol  I also never use LOL although the men in my life seem to
Me: Haha we will compare and together we will come up with the best Carbonara recipe ever and I will blog it!

 So here it is my friends bought to you from myself and Paul with the assistance of a couple of glasses of wine

Spaghetti Carbonara


This was for the two of us but there was enough to serve 4 people

Pancetta – you can buy the cubes - in this instance we had the rashers and I used about 6 finely sliced
1 onion, diced into small cubes
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
Glug of wine
Spaghetti, boiled in lots of salty water
Parmesan cheese, grated 
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, beaten together
Put your pasta on to cook. Add some olive oil to the pan and add the pancetta. Get this to start to brown (about 7 mins) and then add the onions. Stir regularly and when the onion has browned ever so slightly add the garlic cook for about 3 minutes before adding a glug of wine.


Drain the pasta and then grab you eggs and beat them into the pasta – this needs to be done when the pasta is steaming hot and you have to beat the egg in really briskly so it doesn’t go scrambled. You can always add a bit of the drained pasta water if you need more glossiness. Add the pancetta mix and some Parmesan along with lots of cracked blacked pepper and a pinch of salt and voila you have Roman / Sicilian / DELICIOUS Carbonara.  

You’re Welcome.

Linking up with Alesha for Delicious Dish Tuesday

 Full Time Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment