Tuesday 30 September 2014

A Blast from The Past ...... {Thai Grilled Chicken}







When I was young Sainsbury's did a load of adverts that I guess were the first kind of supermarket celebrity endorsed adverts ever made. A celebrity would basically talk you through a recipe usually one that was slightly exotic (apparently it's thanks to these adverts that mozarella became mainstream on supermarket shelves) and then you could pick up the recipe card in store and get all the ingredients. Apparently when an advert came out Sainsbury's shelves would be empty of the ingredients on the card. Any how my Mum had a folder of these recipes and when she had people for dinner she would often make the Thai chicken that Shirley Bassey (I think) endorsed and I loved it, so after finding the video on YouTube (the recipe folder has long gone) I decided to make my version of this last night, and it was every bit as good as I remembered. Strange how tastes can evoke such strong memories.... anyone else remember the adverts? Guess its a UK thing......





Thai Grilled Chicken 

200g block of creamed coconut
300ml hot water
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
3 fresh green chillies, de-seeded and chopped - I had to use 1 red as I ran out of green 
1-2 TBSP fresh ginger, chopped
3 TBSP rich soy sauce
grated zest and juice of 2 limes
2 level TBSP caster sugar
1/2 pack of fresh coriander
boneless chicken breasts (this makes enough for 4 chicken breasts though)
Wild rice
mangetout 

cut the coconut cream into large chunks and place in a bowl. Pour the hot water over the coconut and stir to dissolve. place this in a blender with all the other ingredients except the chicken. Blend for a few seconds until well mixed and allow to cool slightly. make diagonal cuts across the chicken breasts, arrange in a dish and pour over half the coconut mixture. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 mins - overnight is best though. arrange the chicken skin side down in a grill pan and spread over the marinade grill for 15 – 20 mins, turning and basting occasionally. heat the remaining coconut mixture in a saucepan stirring occasionally and simmer gently for 2 or 3 minutes but do not boil. Serve the chicken with the sauce wild rice and some steamed mangetout. 




Linking up for the first time with Honest Mum - Thanks for inviting me to join in Tasty Tuesdays! 

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

And with Delcious Dish Tuesday with Eat Drink and Be Mary and Full Time Mama 



Eat Drink & Be Mary

10 comments:

  1. The perfect evening meal! It looks really delicious #tastytuesdays (www.my-family-ties.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it did indeed taste delicious and is nice and easy as an evening meal!

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds amazing!! I've never had thai chicken but I will def have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much Alesha, you know how much I enjoy linking up every week!

      Delete
  3. What a tasty dinner-love how fresh the ingredients look! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love cooking with fresh ingredients, I passionately believe they make all the difference!

      Delete
  4. It was actually Kiri Te Kanawa doing the ad. Served with a salad of watercress, cucumber and toasted pine kernels ( but you could use rocket) a nice pilau rice and a hearty red wine. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife & I love this , we've still got the original sainsburys recipes in the ring binder! Probably got them in the early 90's.
    I'm cooking it for us this evening but couldn't find the folder, hence that's why I'm here. I'm glad other people like this meal. Ours is now marinating in the fridge and my fingers are chillie hot 🔥.right, now for an ale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, only with accurate planning, your practice of raising chickens for profit can become profitable. Here are some tips for you to raise chickens for profit. Frozen Chicken Wings

    ReplyDelete