Thursday 9 April 2015

When on dessert duty #2...............{Meringue with raspberry and passionfruit}







As I mentioned in yesterday's post I made two desserts for Easter. One was the key lime pie  the other was meringue with raspberry and passionfruit, in honour of my brother, as he loves meringue. I have worked on my meringue recipe and got rid of the vinegar and corn flour that I use in my pavlova recipe and I'm not sure this is better it's just crispier and works well in this dessert. Don't be scared of meringue - I feel the secret is always, always use and electric whisk and always use a clean bowl!

Meringue with raspberry and passionfruit


4 egg whites (use the yolks to make key lime pie)!
225g caster sugar
300ml double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
250g raspberries 
2 passionfruit


Preheat the oven to 120C. line a large baking tray with baking parchment. place the egg whites in a clean bowl (my metal one is great for this) and whisk until they form stiff peaks. continue whisking as you add the sugar, one dessert spoonful at a time, until all the sugar is incorporated. the meringue will then become shiny and hold stiff peaks. place the mixture in a large plastic piping bag or spread the meringue into the baking tray in a rectangular shape. bake for 1½-2 hours, until the meringue can be lifted easily off the paper without sticking. turn off the oven, leave the door slightly open and leave until the meringues are cold. before serving, whip together the cream and icing sugar and spread the cream mixture onto the meringue. top with the fruit. serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment