Wednesday 22 April 2015

When your BBF goes on a holiday......{Thai Seafood Salad}

 
 
So my wonderful bestie Paul decided to go and spend a month in Laos, lucky thing! Although I missed him desperately, I loved that every few days he managed to find the time to send me pictures such as these;
 
 
 





Hard life huh?! He also sent me a recipe - the boy knows me too well! He proclaimed it the best salad he had ever eaten so I had to give it a go myself - it was delicious with lovely fresh flavours which are perfect for the summer. I changed a few things, his version had mint leaves instead of coriander and the shallots were in the salad not in the dressing, but hey recipes are meant to be played around with. How lucky I am that even when half way across the world lovely Paul things of me and this little blog of mine! And whilst I love the photos and food stories and the fact he is having amazing experiences I am so very pleased that he is home safe and sound, he has been missed.
 
 
 

 

 

Paul's Thai style Seafood Salad

 
 
salad:
 
2 gem lettuces, roughly chopped 
small bunch of coriander, chopped
3 spring onions, sliced
200g cooked basmati rice
1 dsp coconut oil
3 squid, cut into rings
10 unpeeled raw prawns (shell on)
dressing:
 
4tbsp fish sauce
1 shallot, very finely sliced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 1/2 lemons (or limes), juice of
1 dsp light brown sugar
 
 
put all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and mix together. warm coconut oil and toast the rice - you want to be scraping it off the pan so it looks crusty and it is more flaky then rice grains - don't be scared you need to just stand by the pan and keep on scraping and stirring. remove from pan and set aside. in the same pan cook the seafood, this takes no time at all about 5 mins for the prawns and 3 mins for the squid. take the salad vegetables and herbs and toss in a large bowl with 1/2 the dressing. and the toasted rice. divide the salad in two bowls and top with the seafood and the remaining dressing. Eat outside, dreaming of warmer climates and beautiful beaches!
Today I'm linking up with the lovely Miriam at Farm girl


6 comments:

  1. That salad looks/sounds so good. I love when friends share their adventures with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the next best thing to being on the adventure with them i think!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those pictures are amazing! Love that he is sending you recipes while away too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what a sweetie! Thank you so much! Loved your blog as well - this link up is great!

      Delete
  3. Oh this looks so delicious! I love sea food, this salad is a must-try. What a nice guy for sharing this recipe (and the gorgeous photos!) with you!

    ReplyDelete