Wednesday 2 September 2015

Healthy Weekday Meal #13........{Chicken and Sweet Potato Chilli}




For  a while now I have been seeing lots various posts for turkey and sweet potato chilli - and for a while I have been intending to give it a go. When I got in from work yesterday I was going for a run so I wanted to make something that was quick and healthy so I could devour it when I got back form said run. I didn't have any turkey mince but I did have some chicken so I just ground that up in my food processor and it worked just as well. You can do what I did and blend up all the sweet potato for quite a thick chili or you can keep half as chunks and just blend the other half. Both seem to work.  




Chicken and Sweet Potato Chilli


400 - 500g chicken breasts, blended until small chunks / or just use turkey mince
1 onion, sliced 
3 cloves garlic, finely diced 
2 dsp chilli powder (i used hot but you can use medium if preferred)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried red chilli flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 medium sweet potatoes , diced (i kept the skins on but you can peel if you want)
400g tinned chopped tomatoes 
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
200g black beans, drained (alternatively use kidney beans)
300ml chicken stock
water
S&P
Greek yoghurt to serve 

in a tbsp of olive oil cook the chicken, onion, garlic and spices until chicken is browned and onions are soft, make sure you season well. I added a bit of water at this stage to keep the mixture moist. remove from pan. add the sweet potatoes to the pan and cover with the stock (add some extra water if you need to) then let boil until soft. blend the potatoes and stock until smooth. Add back in the pan with the chicken and onions and the tin of tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. simmer and add some water until you have the desired consistency. after 10 minutes add the beans  and cook for a further 10 minutes, season. Serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt. You can serve it with rice or a salad and avocado but I found it filling enough on its own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment