Tuesday 8 March 2016

To be a woman...



 
 
This blog is fundamentally a cooking blog and a blog about food. However, It is also a place where I can write what is on my mind or my heart.
 
Today is International Women's Day and I thought it was important to mark that. I am always aware of how lucky I am to have been born into a time and place where being a woman does not make me a 2nd class citizen, where I am not constrained by certain expectations, rules or a culture that does not allow women to flourish.
 
I am very aware that I came from a line of strong women who have always encouraged me to do exactly what I wanted to do. I am blessed with two strong minded and intelligent sisters and also a brother who absolutely, positively affirms and nurtures our strength and independence as females.
 
I am blessed to have the love of a man who totally believes that I can do anything I put my mind to and never feels threatened by any success I achieve. A man who I have chosen to love and to spend my life with without having to sacrifice my independence or integrity.
 
I am proud to work for a charity that fights tirelessly for women's rights throughout the world and everyday I see amazing examples of women positively changing and evolving their families, their communities, their governments and lets face it the world.
 
As some guy once said "with great power, comes great responsibility" and yes we do indeed have a responsibility. We have a responsibility to be bothered to go and vote, to engage with society in a positive way, to educate and equip ourselves and to be positive role models to the future generation. We have a responsibility to actually understand what being a feminist is and to "own it" and realise its not always about burning bra's and shouting the loudest.
 
We still have a long way to go to achieve gender equality worldwide, but I like to think slowly but surely we are getting there.
 
Image result for International womens day
International Women's Day
 
Happy International Women's Day 

1 comment:

  1. woooah.... soo nymmy.... dlics.... ;)

    im indonesian blogger... i will always visit and commented u.. hihihi...

    i hope u can follow me back....
    and jst sugest y can have widget http://my.cbox.ws

    visit me back yaaa ↓
    http://chipiet-diary.zone.id/2017/12/smile-for-your-days-and-health-ya-guys.html

    ReplyDelete