Thursday 8 January 2015

Basking in Dry January....... {Chicken Basque}










One of my plans to own my 2015 is to loose some weight and to kick it off H and I have been partaking in Dry January. Its a great way to get cracking on healthy eating and lifestyle and lets face it a rest from the booze is never a bad thing. So Saturday night came around and as we weren't drinking and we were still quite tired from the Christmas and New Years holidays we decided to have a night in and I decided to cook us a nice but relatively well balanced meal. It also gave me a chance to try my new cookware - a present to myself , I couldn't resist as it was half price in Sainsburys. This recipe is one I have loved for years - Delia Smith to thank for that and I'm giving you my version of it here, it's rustic cooking at it's best. Enjoy!



Chicken Basque

(Original recipe by Delia Smith and can be found here)

6 small chicken fillets
1 large red pepper, sliced 
1 Spanish onion, thickly sliced 
4 tbsp olive oil
150g Chorizo, cut into slices thickness of £1 piece
100g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped 
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika 
1 tbsp tomato puree 
125g brown basmatic rice
125g wild rice 
300ml chicken stock
200ml dry white wine 
1/2 orange cut into wedges 
50g pitted olives (I used black and green)

put 2tbsp of the olive oil into the pan and brown off the chicken. Remove from pan. Add the rest of the oil and the onions and peppers, cook for 5 minutes or so until they have softened and browned off slightly. Add in the chorizo, tomatoes and garlic and cook for couple of miutes, stirring constantly. stir in the rice and make sure the grains are coated in the oil. Add the tomato puree, stock and wine and seasn. bring to a simmer. place the chicken on the top of the rice with orange and olives dotteded in between (my photos show how it should look. Cover and put in oven at 180oC for and hour, until rice has cooked through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment