Thursday 16 May 2013

Its all about me.... no really

Day 16 and today’s prompt is: 'Something difficult about your 'lot in life' and how you are working to overcome it.

I’m a lucky lucky girl; I can’t complain about my lot in life, really I can’t. Sure my life isn’t perfect, there are tough times and I’m not exactly where I thought I would be at this stage in my life BUT I’m blessed.

So this post was a difficult one to write however I guess my biggest difficulty recently has been making time for myself. This may sound inherently selfish but it comes from the fact that I hate being selfish. I pride myself in being there for my friends and my family whenever they need me, I have 2 jobs, I’m learning a new language, I’m trying to pick up on the blogging because it’s something I love, I cook from scratch, I’m trying to loose weight - my long long list keeps on going. A wise man once told me “kid, you’re a feeler” he was right. I like making people happy, I find it hard to let people down, I like to listen, I like to help and I try and keep the peace. But I’m tired, I’m too thinly spread and I’m also missing out on some important “me time” which I think is essential to be happy within myself.
 

This is how I’m going to try and overcome it….

1. Keep an up to date diary. This sounds strange as it gets filled up quickly but it helps me to see what I have planned, I don’t double book and having it down in paper also helps me see how much I have going on, so I know when to chill it out a bit. Planning my time also helps me make the most effective use of it.

2.  Learn to say no. This is such a hard one for me, I hate saying no. I hate it. I hate that when I do try and say no I then get backlash (this is my fault for always being such a yes person). I have to remember that its not a crime for me to want to spend some time by myself or doing something I want to do as opposed to doing what someone else wants me to do.

3. Have a lovely hot bubble bath and pamper once a week.  All over this like a rash. I’m such a shower in the morning before work kindda girl, who has time for bubbles?! Well I guess I do now. It’s nice and my skin is better and my nails are painted properly and my hair is glossier. It’s silly but these little things all add up to make me feel better about myself and calmer about the world.

4. If your struggling TALK. This needs to start is still a work in progress. I need to learn to depend on people as I let them depend on me. I also need to stop saying “yeah, I’m fine, don’t worry” when I’m not fine. This is a challenge for me and I’m not sure if it’s in my nature but at least if I try it may help.

5. Work on a recipe to blog at least once a week. My brother said that I should focus on one good recipe a week rather than trying to blog loads all the time. I think he has a point! I’m looking at how I can incorporate this and I think that I have a good idea for a blog series… watch this space!

6. Have TWO evenings a week to myself. Phew, two?! Usually I’m relieved if I have one night. But I need to do it. Even if I have to go to and do some shopping or going for a swim if I’m doing it by myself then its quality “me time”.

I think that’s about all – Any tips on how to have quality “me” time? How do you achieve the perfect work/life balance? I’d love some more ideas

Maybe I’ll revisit this in a month or so and see how I’m getting on…..

Linking up with Jenni for “Blog every day in May”

No comments:

Post a Comment